1/03/2020

AGU 100 !!

AGU was established in 1919. There have been successes and failures, controversies and consensus, but as we look back over 100 years of accomplishments, one thing is certain: The Earth and space sciences will only increase in importance over the next 100 years (from AGU website).

I am very greatful for this opportunity to join AGU held from the 11th to the 15th of December in San Francisco. It was absolutely inspiring, encouraging and assuring for my research and career choice.

“I absolutely know, I absolutely know my journey to medicine, space exploration, engineering, 100 year starship started when I was a little girl in the south side of Chicago”. This is the beginning part of Dr. Mae Jaemison’s presidential lecture on the 1st day of AGU. When I saw her biography and story at the science museum in Kansas, the information on the wall spoke so powerful that I kept standing in front of her biography. Words cannot describe how much I was thrilled to listen to her lecture.

Being in research is an attempt to face the uncertain to produce something certain. Also it is continuous and resilient efforts to identify and quantify how things work in nature. Dealing with uncertainty could be extremely challenging and draining at times, but if we are certain when and why we started our journey to earth and space science like Dr. Jaemison, I think we are always on the right track . Have a fruitful 2020 :)




Dr. Yokoyama


Naoto


Tomo

Fun night with Naoto, Yusuke, Dr. Webster (Univ. of Sydney),  Dr. Oda (AIST), Dr. McLean (University of Kansas), Dr. Nishida (JSPS),  Donovin , Tomo and  Dr. Sinclair (Victoria University of Wellington)