9/24/2024

'24 - International Short Course II Earth and Planetary Sciences

こんにちは!

Moin! This is   おしん , from Germany (and Sri Lanka) who joined the lab this summer for a three-month exchange from University of Bremen. 

During my stay, thanks to Yusuke's invitation I was very lucky to attend the International Short Course - here is an entry about my experience. 

I've always considered myself a “pure” scientist—focused solely on the scientific curiosity behind earth sciences, avoiding the societal implications. However, this course introduced me to the profound impact of natural hazards on humanity, which has subtly started to reshape my perspective. We visited museums and sites affected by natural disasters like earthquakes and tsunamis, and hearing firsthand stories of victims was eye-opening. It made me rethink my role as a geoscientist, shifting my view towards conducting research that could actively help people.

First Week – Heavy Yet Enlightening

My first day started with a mixture of excitement and nerves as I joined Kaoru and Shunsuke, whom I was a little more familiar with, for lectures.  The first two days were filled with in-house lectures. It was fascinating to observe the dynamic teaching style, especially coming from a background where lectures are more one-sided. The Australians were incredibly lively, engaging in discussions, and constantly questioning the professors. It made the learning process feel active, and I admired their confidence in expressing their opinions. 


The first week was emotionally heavy. We visited Fukushima, where we saw firsthand the devastation caused by the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake. At the Nuclear Disaster Memorial Museum and the TEPCO Decommissioning Archive Center, I felt the weight of the destruction and how it continues to affect lives. Seeing the places and hearing the stories made me think differently about teaching geosciences—understanding the true magnitude of geohazards beyond economic impacts, and recognizing the emotional toll they leave behind, affecting generations.

Site Visits – Understanding Geohazards Up Close
Our group traveled to various sites:

  • The Otsuchi Coastal Research Center.
  • The Karakuwa Peninsula to see the tsunami boulder—an overwhelming sight.
  • Climbing evacuation points was a humbling experience, making the disaster feel more real, although it could never compare to what the victims experienced.
  • We also visited life-saving mounds, structures designed to help during future tsunamis




After the intensity of the first week, we had a much-needed free day. Some of the Australian students explored Tokyo, while a few of us, including the UTokyo students, got a chance to hang out together. 



Mt. Hoei and Saiko Bat Cave – Adventure Awaits!

Seeing Mt. Fuji for the first time was breathtaking! We visited multiple sites around the mountain, including the Jiragonno Lava Flow, Saiko Bat Cave, and the Otagawa Outcrop. The sheer size of Fuji left me speechless—it was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. The highlight of our fieldwork was climbing Mt. Hoei, an exhausting yet exhilarating climb. 



The highlight of our fieldwork was climbing Mt. Hoei, an exhausting yet exhilarating climb. Despite its height, the view from the top was absolutely worth every step, and the climb down was just as fun. There was something about the place that made me feel like I could spend eternity there—it was serene and awe-inspiring.




We also visited the Saiko Bat Cave. Earth scientists (myself included) have a special love for caves, and this one didn't disappoint. Crawling through the narrow entrance felt like an adventure straight out of an exploration book!

The Arai Checkpoint was another fascinating visit, giving us a glimpse into life during the Edo period, from how people dressed to how they lived and hunted and coped with Tsunami at the time.



Final Week – Bonding and Farewells
Back on the bus, we had the most entertaining debates about Takenoko vs. Kinoko (a heated Japanese snack rivalry!). We also played a game called Ito, which really showed how well we'd all bonded over time. The Australians and I shared so many laughs and stories that it was hard to say goodbye. For most of us, trying out onsens was a completely new experience, and it's something I'll definitely miss from Japan.




Exploring Beyond the Course

As the course wrapped up, I was fortunate to continue exploring Japan with new friends. I spent a day in Kappabashi with Jonas, Ciera, hunting for beautiful Japanese bowls (a true treasure hunt!). I also went to a Japanese aquarium with Ciara, Saamy , and Shunsuke, which was so much fun looking into the Jellyfish. 

Instead of an “Irish goodbye,” we were able to genuinely bond and enjoy our time with our new friends.

I used to find it difficult to form short but meaningful connections. But after the course, a good friend of mine said something that stuck with me: “Friendships aren't about how long you've known someone, but about the quality of time you spend together.” That made me realize how important moments are, no matter how brief. 

On a final note, International Courseき! Had it not been for this course I wouldn't have been able to visit north of Japan nor had the chance to get these perspectives nor meeting these amazing people had it not been for this course. During the course I was able to also a pick a few Japanese slang and a few words that now help me get along with daily life and asking for little help in the lab.



Signing out,

Oshin