2/06/2011

Nagasaki


My first trip outside Tokyo since I am in Japan was to visit the Nagasaki region. 
The three days trip was divided in a day of field excursion, a day at the University of Nagasaki and the last day to visit the Nagasaki city.
The first day I took part of a field excursion held at the end of the international symposium on the sustainability and productivity of coastal resources. I had the chance to visit Isahaya dike gate, Unzen Jogoku, the Nita ridge observatory and the Mt. Unzen Disaster Memorial Hall.
The Nita observatory and the Mt Unzen Memorial Hall were very interesting to understand what is the life near an active volcano.




The second day I visited Prof. Yu Umezawa laboratory at the University of Nagasaki. The aim of the visit was to make some tests on his RaDeCC system. The RaDeCC system is used to measure short half-life radium isotopes (223Ra and 224Ra).
Finally, I visited Nagasaki city and in particular the Atomic bomb museum and his Memorial Hall.